Estate Planning & Elder Law
South Bend Indiana Attorney Offers Strategic Estate Planning and Elder Law Advice
Offering you the knowledge to efficiently plan your estate
Thomas E. Panowicz LLC provides an exceptional legal team offering a personal touch when it comes to planning your estate. We can handle complicated situations involving estate planning, special needs trusts and probate litigation.
Providing sound advice with Indiana and Michigan estate administration
Estate planning provides security for your family. Drafting a will and placing your assets in a trust protects your heirs from unnecessary hardships. Estate planning attorneys can review your situation and make sure you consider all potential tax consequences so you avoid any gratuitous or unexpected taxes. We provide a full array of estate administration services, such as:
- Probating the will -- We review wills and settle disputes between heirs.
- Establishing and administering trusts -- We set up tax-saving trusts to protect your assets.
- Supervising estates -- We provide supervised estate administration to comply with court-ordered requirements.
Effective elder law and special needs estate planning maximizes resources
Elder Law is an area of the law that is focused on advocacy for our aging clients and those who are disabled or have special needs. It also includes such services as:
- Preparing powers of attorney -- We help you to determine what type of power of attorney is appropriate for your situation both now and in the days to come.
- Living will /Advance health care directives -- A living will allows you to appoint someone you trust to make medical decisions on your behalf if you should become incapacitated.
- Guardianship -- Whether you are seeking guardianship of the person or guardianship of the estate of an elderly or disabled person who is unable to make decisions for her or himself, our attorneys can facilitate the process.
Using special needs estate planning tools effectively maximizes both private resources and government benefits, which will improve the long-term quality of life for a disabled child or elderly parent or loved one. Some types of special needs trusts have payback requirements for Medicaid costs upon the death of the disabled individual. An attorney can help you determine the best type of special needs strategies to fit your situation.
Dependable representation for probate litigation
When one of your relative dies, an administrator divides the estate among the beneficiaries. We review the deceased's will to quickly settle all the affairs of the estate. If no will exists or if an heir contests it, we first try to settle the dispute amicably or through mediation. When necessary, our attorneys are ready to advocate for you in court. We handle any type of dispute involved in probate litigation, including:
- Will contests and trust litigation -- We review wills for legitimacy and solve disputes between beneficiaries.
- Breach of fiduciary duty -- We protect your inheritance and pursue fiduciary breachers for monetary damages.
- Guardianships and conservatorships -- We help you protect a disabled child or incapacitated adult.
Contact an attorney for intelligent strategies for planning your estate
The law office of Thomas E. Panowicz LLC maintains an ongoing commitment to efficiently handling estate planning and elder law needs. We are available to discuss your unique circumstances. We have flexible hours and are located near the University of Notre Dame. We also serve clients in Michigan. Free parking and public transportation are available. To schedule a free consultation, contact us online or call us at 574-277-2400.